UMC 2019 • Focus and Call for Papers
The World’s Largest Gathering of Ocean Mineral Stakeholders
Sustainable Development of Seabed Mineral Resources: Environment, Regulations and Technology
48th Underwater Mining Conference
September 22 through 27, 2019
JW Marriott Hotel Sanya Dadonghai Bay
Sanya City, Hainan, China
The 48th Underwater Mining Conference is presented by the International Marine Minerals Society (IMMS) in partnership with the Institute of Deep-Sea Science and Engineering (IDSSE), located in Sanya City, Hainan, China. We will continue the well-tested focus of the conference, which brings together world leaders from government, academia and industry to exchange information and ideas on all aspects of underwater mining.
The focus and theme of this year’s conference is “Sustainable Development of Seabed Mineral Resources: Environment, Regulations and Technology. We start with an evening welcome reception and registration, followed by an expanded three-day technical session with 25-minute presentations. A fourth day has been added to include commercial and special-interest 1 and 2-hour workshops. The fifth and final day of UMC will be our technical field tour.
Call for Papers
We welcome presentations from scientists, engineers, and developers of regulatory regimes related to deep-seabed mining. It will be an important venue for the examination of environmental, regulatory, and technological issues related to the development of deep-sea minerals. As always, other timely and significant topics related to marine minerals are also welcome.
As an expanded feature for 2019, we also welcome presentations for our special commercial and special-interest workshops on 26 September. Talks may cover commercial products, company updates or other promotional topics.
Please submit your abstract by email to the UMC Executive Director. A general UMC 2019 Abstract template (.docx) is provided to assist you with the following format.
- Title of Presentation
- Author(s) Name, Affiliation, Mailing and Contact Information
- Format and Length: WORD document (.docx preferred), not to exceed 10 pages, including Figures and Tables. The optional use of Styles is imbedded into the template.
- Biographical Sketch of Principal Author and or Speaker: ½-page narrative and portrait photo of each.
- A list of keywords (optional)
- Preference for an oral (~25 minutes), poster or commercial workshop presentation
- A statement providing your permission, or not, to archive the abstract (PDF) with OneMine.org (digital library for minerals and mining) at the conclusion of the UMC.
The deadline for submission is June 15, 2019. The selection of presentations will be completed in June 2019.
Sponsorship, Commercial Workshop Presentations, and Exhibits
For more information on sponsorship, commercial workshop presentations (Day 4) and exhibits, please contact the Executive Director for information.
[ Top of this page ]
- Technical Program Chair
- Dr. Charles L. Morgan
Moana Hohonu LLC
- Technical Program Co-Chair
- Professor YANG Ning
- Institute of Deep-Sea Science and Engineering
- Chinese Academy of Sciences
- IDSSE Host Representatives
- Mr. XIAO Jianyu
- Dr. CHEN Yuxiang
- UMC 2019 Conference Coordinator
and for assistance and inquiries in Chinese
- Jack Zhang
- Executive Director
- Karynne Chong Morgan
- University of Hawai‘i
- 1000 Pope Road, MSB 322, Honolulu HI USA 96822
- Tel: +1 808.956-3184
[ Top of this page ]