UMC 2016 • Focus and Call for Papers
Resource and Environmental Assessments
for Seafloor Mining Development
45th Underwater Mining Conference
October 9 through 13, 2016
Orakai Songdo Park Hotel
151, Techno park-ro, Yeonsu-gu
Incheon • South Korea
Our technical focus in 2016 is Resource and Environmental Assessments for seafloor mineral development, with a focus on deep-sea projects. This is an exciting time for the commercial development of seafloor minerals. In terms of 2016 activities, already we have seen the delivery of the deepwater production tools for Nautilus’ seafloor massive sulphide project in Papua New Guinea. Also in 2016, the International Seabed Authority is planning to release draft regulations to allow and manage commercial recovery of minerals from areas beyond national jurisdiction.
Call for Papers
We welcome presentations that examine the quantitative extent and potential commercial viability of these deposits as well as those that address the important issues related to environmental assessment and protection. As always, other timely and significant topics related to marine minerals are also welcome.
Please submit your abstract by email to the UMC Conference Coordinator. A general UMC 2016 Abstract template (Word .docx file) is provided to assist you with the following format:
- Title of Presentation
- Author(s) Name, Title, Affiliation, Mailing and Contact Information
- Format and Length: WORD document (.docx preferred), not to exceed 10 pages, including figures and tables.
- Biographical Sketch of Principal Author and Speaker: ½-page narrative and portrait photo of each.
- A list of keywords
- Preference for an oral (~20 minutes) or poster presentation
- A statement providing your permission, or not, to archive the abstract (PDF) with OneMine.org (digital library for minerals and mining) at the conclusion of the UMC.
The deadline for submission is May 31, 2016. The selection of presentations will be completed by June 30, 2016.
[ Top of this page ]
For commercial exhibits, please contact the Conference Coordinator for information.
- Technical Program Chair
- Dr. Samantha Smith, President
International Marine Minerals Society
- Technical Program Host
- Ministry of Oceans and Fisheries (Korea)
- and KIOST (Korea Institute of Ocean Science and Technology)
- Conference Coordinator
- Karynne Chong Morgan
- University of Hawai‘i
- 1000 Pope Road, MSB 303
- Honolulu HI 96822
- Tel: +1 808.956.5095
Mobile: +1 808.295.9418
[ Top of this page ]